The University Housing Marketing Department is hiring a paid academic year internship for a Writer in Residence. This unique opportunity gives one writer the chance to grow your portfolio with plenty of news, feature and profile stories about living on campus.
In the communications realm, no two days are alike - so expect an internship that is varied and caters to your interests and skill sets. Specifically, the Writer in Residence will:
- Write two to three articles per week.
- Work with Marketing staff members to brainstorm ideas and stories for the website, social media and print publications.
- Work with Photojournalism Interns to coordinate photographs for your articles.
- Edit, update and review your weekly articles for print and web media.
- Other marketing duties as assigned.
Nights and weekends may be required in addition to attending weekly meetings in the University Housing Office. The Writer in Residence will be expected to work autonomously on projects. Computers will be accessible in the University Housing Office to write your articles, but you are encouraged to use your own equipment.
Our goal is to create an internship experience that exposes you to a variety of tasks, but we'll work with you to utilize your unique skills to enhance our overall communications.
We are looking for a self-motivated, ambitious individual who is willing to "get your hands dirty." We will be tackling A LOT of projects and you'll be expected to jump in and be an active part of our marketing team.
- You must live on-campus in a University Housing owned property.
- Be a creative thinker and problem-solver.
- Interest in journalism, marketing and communications is expected.
- Previous news or feature writing is preferred.
- Previous experience workshopping your writing is a plus.
What's in it for you?
- Learn from two experienced marketing professionals with diverse backgrounds.
- Hands-on professional experience to build your resume and portfolio.
- This is a paid internship at $9.00 per hour for 10 hours per week, maximum.
How to apply?
If interested in this Writer in Residence position, please email your resume, cover letter and three writing samples to Brittany Sweeney by 5 pm on April 25. Use the subject line, “Writer in Residence Intern.” Show us your talents!