The Summer START program is a partnership between University Housing and Accelerated Summer Academic Programs designed to assist incoming students with the transition from high school to college through five weeks of academic courses and social activities. Summer START provides participants with a solid introduction to the culture of NC State.
Summer START students enroll in up to eight-credit hours of academic courses toward their specific major, as well as a one-credit orientation course covering NC State’s resources. During Summer START 2015, June 21-Aug. 1, participants live in Owen and Tucker halls on Central Campus, where evening and weekend programs are available to help develop skills important to the academic environment, including
- communication skills
- study skills
- leadership skills
- research processes and procedures
- critical thinking skills
- time management skills
- social and networking skills
- knowledge of campus and student resources
- knowledge of the local environment
- knowledge and appreciation of other cultures
Summer START Housing Rate:
- Rent and Laundry: $590.00
- ResNet: $57.50
- Cable (optional): $96.25
Applying for Summer START Housing
Apply for Summer Session II housing in MyPack Portal. The Housing Application opens in May. Once you are offered acceptance at NC State, you’ll need to submit a Housing Application. The Housing Application is separate from admissions. Don’t procrastinate! Submit your application through MyPack Portal. Once logged in to MyPack Portal, click on Student Self Services. From the drop down menus, choose University Housing and Prospective Residents. Then click on the Housing Application link. Select a term and fill out the Housing Application. On the Housing Application, indicate that you are part of the Summer START program and if you are interested in Interim Housing.
Request a roommate for Summer START by adding a preferred roommate to your Housing Application when you apply for Summmer Session II housing.
The Summer Session II Housing Application is separate from the fall 2015 Housing Application. Remember to apply for fall 2015 housing in MyPack Portal, if you haven’t already. If students are assigned to Tucker Hall for the 2015-2016 academic year, University Housing will try to place students in their fall assignment during Summer START.
Deadlines and Important Dates
- Summer START Application deadline: Friday, May 1
- Summer Session II Housing Application deadline: TBD
- Summer START Move-In: TBD
- Summer START classes begin: TBD
- Summer START last day of class: TBD
- Summer START Exams: TBD
- Summer START Move-Out: TBD
- Fall Move-In (move to fall assignment): Friday, August 14
Check-In/Check-Out for Summer START
Summer START participants should check in between 9 am and 5 pm.
Summer START participants should check out 24-hours after their final exam.
What to Bring/What to Leave at Home
For a complete list of what to bring and what to leave at home, please review our Packing List.
Parking and Transportation
General parking will be available to students during Move-In. Participants and their families may park in the lot behind First Year College Commons, on Cates Avenue or in the Harris parking lot.
Incoming students are also allowed to have their vehicles on campus. Contact Transportation for a parking permit. Wolfline buses are also available to students during the summer. Use the Transloc app to find out where your bus is along the route.
- Room assignments are made on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Summer START assignments are released in June.
- You do not have to pay the Admissions Advanced Enrollment Deposit prior to applying for housing.
- Housing costs are automatically billed to your student account once you are assigned.
- There is no fee to secure housing.
- ADA accommodations are available in on-campus housing. You must first register with the Disability Services Office on campus.
- Residents may pick up mail and packages during Summer START at the First Year College Commons 24-hour desk. For more information about sending and receiving mail and packages, visit our Mail webpage.