The 2013 Spirit of the Village Awards celebrated 12 award winners from 10 Living and Learning Villages. More than 50 students, faculty and staff members attended the event on April 12, 2013 at The Craft Center. The recognized students embody the spirit of Kay Yow and contribute to the betterment of their residential, university and local communities.
“It was NC State’s own Kay Yow who coined the Village concept and these awards honor the tenacious spirit that Kay had about life and everything that she did,” said Dr. Timothy Luckadoo, Vice Provost for Campus Life.
Award winners include:
- Shakira Shipman – Arts Village
- Allison Quinn – First Year College Village (FYC)
- Christopher Franz – Global Village - Alexander
- Caitlin Neal – Global Village -Carroll
- Ali Sajjad – IMPACT Leadership Village (ILV)
- Meredith Martin – Students Advocating for Youth Village (SAY)
- Jessica Hamrick – Second Year Transitions and Transfer Experience (S.T.A.T.E.)
- Katherine Freeman – University Honors Village
- Elizabeth Thompson – University Scholars Village
- Ravyn Njagu – Women in Science and Engineering Village (WISE)
- Kiley O’Connor – Women in Science and Engineering Village Second Year (WISE)
- Ann Chen – Women of Welch (WOW) Village
Each Village nominated a candidate to receive the prestigious award, with staff members choosing some nominees and Village peers choosing others. For more information about Living and Learning Villages at NC State, visit our "What is a Village?" page.
Check out the photo gallery from the awards ceremony!