Community Standards and Guidelines


Welcome to University Housing at NC State! Living in a residential community is an exciting experience, but it also comes with some guidelines to ensure a safe and productive learning community. Check out this one-stop-shop for policies, procedures and standards relating to  living on campus.

(These policies complement, but do not replace University Policies, Regulations and Rules; the Code of Student Conduct; Raleigh Laws; State Laws; and Federal Laws.)


To post flyers or other advertisements within University Housing buildings, submit an Advertising Request Form. To post in public areas outside the residential facilities, attach posters to display panels and bulletin boards only. Displaying any material on the exterior of the buildings, trees, light posts, or other surfaces not specifically designated as a poster display area, is not allowed. All exterior advertisement must follow the Poster/Painting/Sidewalk Chalk Regulation (Reg. 11.55.4).

Unattached materials, handouts and handbills are not allowed except those materials distributed in Student Government Elections and by individuals/organizations that have the solicitation permit from the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) in accordance with the Official University Solicitation Policy. All materials not conforming to these guidelines will be removed, and all outdated material shall be removed upon its expiration.

return to top of page

Alcohol and Beverage Container Rules

For those less than 21 years of age, North Carolina State law forbids you to possess or consume alcoholic beverages. For those 21 years or older, the possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages by those of legal age in any University building is prohibited except in the resident’s residence hall room or within the confines of the Wolf Village, Wolf Ridge, ES King Village or Western Manor apartments. Possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages by those 21 and older is prohibited in the rooms/apartments of persons under the age of 21. Collection or display of alcohol containers will not be permitted in student rooms, suites or apartments. Students of legal drinking age, who choose to consume alcohol, must dispose of their empty alcohol containers in a timely and appropriate manner. Kegs, empty kegs, and party balls are prohibited. Use of student fees for purchasing alcohol is prohibited consistent with State law, and the sale of alcohol on University property is prohibited. Please check the University Alcohol Policy for further information.

The following residence halls are alcohol-free:

  • Bagwell Hall
  • Becton Hall
  • Bowen Hall
  • Berry Hall
  • Carroll Hall
  • Gold Hall
  • Lee Hall
  • Metcalf Hall
  • Owen Hall
  • Sullivan Hall
  • Syme Hall
  • Tucker Hall
  • Turlington Hall
  • Welch Hall
  • Wood Hall

return to top of page


Due to fire and safety standards, only automatic coffee makers, popcorn poppers, toaster ovens, de-humidifiers and George Foreman-type grills may be used in residents' rooms/apartments. To prevent fires, never leave food unattended while cooking.

return to top of page

Damage and Vandalism Charges

Students who are responsible for accidental damages and vandalism to residential furnishings, structures, or equipment will be charged the appropriate labor and material for the expenses incurred. This includes vandalism of state property, university-owned furniture, and inside or outside university-owned buildings (including elevators). Residents should not interfere or tamper with safety/security systems. Charges for loss or damages, which cannot be assessed to a particular individual, will be charged to the responsible residential unit (floor, suite or apartment). Assistant Directors have a list of the standard charges.

return to top of page

Disciplinary Procedures

For a full explanation of University Housing’s disciplinary procedures, click here.

return to top of page

Drug Rule

University Housing has zero tolerance for the use, possession, trafficking, drug paraphernalia or manufacturing of illegal drugs in any campus residential facility. These are in direct violation of our residential community standards. Alleged drug violations typically result in interim eviction pending a conduct hearing, and students will be responsible for the room cost during the interim eviction. Any resident found responsible of possessing or using illegal drugs will be evicted from University Housing for a period of one year and will be responsible for payment of the remainder of the current term's room rent.

return to top of page

Fire Safety

Residential buildings are equipped with state-of-the art smoke detection and fire suppression systems that are linked to the Campus Police. All residence halls and most of our apartment facilities are made of concrete and steel construction. Fire drills are conducted twice each semester to test the fire safety equipment and to give residents practice in responding to an alarm. Students are always required to leave the building and the immediate area around the building for the duration of all fire alarms.

Because some actions endanger the safety of the residential community, students involved in any of these behaviors are subject to disciplinary action: falsely reporting a fire, bomb threat, or serious injury; activating a fire alarm when no fire is evident; setting a fire; possessing or using flammable or highly combustible materials; tampering with or misusing (whether accidental or intentional) any fire/safety equipment; failure to vacate the building when a fire alarm sounds. Residents are asked to report all problems concerning fire/safety equipment to a University Housing staff member immediately.

return to top of page

Heating and Cooling Systems

If you experience any problems with the heating unit(s) in your room, contact your Resident Advisor (RA). North Hall and Avent Ferry Complex have separate heating systems which allow residents to control the temperature in their rooms. Note that the building heating systems are lowered during winter break to save energy.

NC State's residence halls and Wolf Village and Wolf Ridge apartments are constructed using concrete and steel masonry. This type of construction is sometimes susceptible to condensation and mildew issues. Therefore, we ask you to take the following steps to help control moisture in your room:

  • Keep bathroom windows and doors closed when not in use. Bathrooms contain exhaust fans that pull air from throughout the living space. When windows and doors are left open, outside air is pulled in, adding extra humidity to an already damp room.
  • Keep bedroom doors closed. Leaving bedroom doors open forces the fan unit to work harder to cool or heat outside air from the hallway and bathroom. Keeping doors closed makes it easier for your unit to heat and cool the room.
  • Avoid setting thermostats at the extremes. Excessive cold or heat forces the system to work overtime. If you feel your living area is not hot enough or cold enough for your comfort, adjust the thermostat, but do so in small increments. You will find that these minor adjustments have just as big an impact as large temperature swings.
  • Keep it in the middle. Do your part by setting your thermostat to the center when you are not in the room. Heating or cooling an empty room is wasteful and unnecessary. This especially applies during times of above normal heat or below normal cold.

Please submit an online work order if your cooling/heating system does not seem to be working. Let us know if there is a problem, so we can fix it right away.

return to top of page

Holiday Closings

All residence halls will be closed and residents will be required to leave their rooms during Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break. Specific hall closing dates and check-out instructions will be provided by University Housing before each break.

Note: Wolf Village and Wolf Ridge apartments do  not close during breaks.

Guest Housing

Limited guest housing is available during breaks. You can register online or call (919) 515-4398.

Break Closing Steps (for breaks longer than 5-days)

  • Defrost and clean refrigerator
  • Unplug everything except refrigerator and fish tank (if applicable)
  • Remove all seasonal decorations
  • Turn off all faucets
  • Close blinds and shades
  • Do not store mopeds or motorcycles in room, suite, or hallway
  • Empty all garbage
  • Take all valuables
  • Turn off all lights (overhead, desk, mirror)
  • Lock room doors

Please Note: The heat will be turned off during extended breaks, except in open halls.

return to top of page


University Housekeeping, a department within Facilities Operations, is responsible for the proper maintenance and appearance of all residence hall and apartment public areas, such as lounges, halls, suite and corridor bathrooms and stairwells. Residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their rooms.

To assist with housekeeping schedules, students who live in buildings with hall or suite bathrooms are not allowed to leave personal items in bathrooms. Soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, and other personal items are to be stored in student room.

Residents are also responsible for placing their trash in the nearest dumpster and recycling items in the nearest recycle bin. Storing trash along breezeways is not permitted.

return to top of page


Please use the kitchen rather than your room for cooking. Always remember to clean up after yourself. When cooking in the kitchen, never leave food unattended. For grease fires, remove items from heat and cover the fire to smother the flames. Do not use water to put out a grease fire.  Dishes should be cleaned and stored to avoid unwanted pests.

return to top of page


Laundry facilities are located in each residence hall and apartment complex. Wolf Village apartments have laundry facilities within each apartment. Laundry fees are included in your housing payment. Use your campus ID to activate a machine; no quarters needed! Your housing payment includes 5 loads of laundry per week. LaundryView allows you to check the status of machines in your laundry room online without ever setting foot outside your room.

return to top of page

LoftsLoftable Bed Dimensions graphic

The majority of residence hall rooms have bed furniture that may be lofted with no additional loft kits needed. Rooms in North Hall have beds which can be raised or bunked, but they are not loftable in the traditional sense. The graphic to the right depicts a loft at it's maximum height. Loftable bed heights are adjustable.

return to top of page

Mail and Packages

Mail and parcels sent through the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to NC State University halls are delivered daily Monday through Friday (except holidays and student breaks). The USPS delivers mail to the NC State Campus Mail Center, and then it is distributed throughout the campus.

The USPS delivers mail directly to Wolf Village, Wolf Ridge, E.S. King Village and Western Manor Apartments.

Outgoing domestic mail, which is placed in the U.S. mail slot located near the residence hall or apartment mailboxes, is picked up daily. USPS mail boxes are also located near Poe Hall and Harrelson Hall. Stamps are available for sale in some residential building lobbies, near service desks and at the bookstore.

Check our Mail and Packages page for all the details on addressing mail and packages to students.

return to top of page


University Housing and Facilities Operations share responsibility for maintenance services. Work order requests should be submitted by students through our online work order system. Do not use the online work request system to report emergency issues (flooding, sparking electric outlet, etc). Report these situations immediately to the 24-Hour Service Desk or RA on Duty.

Residents of Western Manor Apartments do not have direct access to the work order system. Please contact the office (do we want to hyperlink the email/phone number?) to report a maintenance need. Emergency work orders can be reported after hours and on weekends by contacting the RA on duty.

University Housing and Facilities Operations staff members may need to enter your room for routine or emergency repairs at any time.

If you have maintenance issues with phone or internet, contact ComTech directly.  


Keys and Access Devices

When you check into your residence hall or apartment, you will receive keys/fob that will allow you appropriate access to your building, mailbox, apartment (if applicable) and room. Insome buildings with electronic access systems, your All-Campus ID Card will be activated to allow access.

For your own security:

  • Be sure to lock your door(s) whenever you leave your room/apartment and carry your keys and fob (if applicable) at all times. Unauthorized duplicating, lending or borrowing room or building keys and fobs is prohibited.
  • Do not prop open entry doors. If you discover that an entrance door is propped open, shut it or seek assistance from a staff member.
  • Do not let others into residence halls/apartments unless they are your guest.

Residence Halls

  • All exterior entrances are kept locked for security purposes.
  • Berry, Becton and Bagwell residence halls have a keyless entry system for all exterior doors, elevator lobby doors and interior hallway doors. Residents are issued a key fob or will have their All-Campus ID Card activated in a manner that permits access to all three residence halls.
  • Syme, Gold and Welch residence halls have a common-area key. The common-area key allows students to share hall facilities. Although the key fobs and common-area keys give residents access to use these shared facilities, students still need to abide by the visitation policy of the accessed building.

return to top of page

Other Safety Issues

  • Breezeways: Out of consideration for others and because of the potential for damage to people and property, the following behaviors are prohibited: throwing or dropping any object from a balcony, breezeway, window or roof; and propping exterior building doors.
  • Hall Sports: Residents are not permitted to engage in sports (Frisbee, golf, soccer, riding skateboards or bikes, etc.) within the buildings.
  • Common Areas: Due to safety concerns, all common areas must be kept free from clutter and objects (bicycles, trash cans, boxes, etc.) that could interfere with passage from the building during an emergency.

The Code of Student Conduct addresses other safety issues including the following:

  • Unauthorized entry to a restricted, locked, or closed building space, or entry into a building when closed for a University break;
  • Failure to provide proper ID when requested to do so by a residence hall staff member acting in the performance of his/her duties;
  • Vandalizing any University property; interfering or tampering with safety/security systems

return to top of page

Pest Control

All public areas are treated at least monthly for pests. If you have a pest problem, submit an online work order or contact your 24-Hour Service Desk. A pest control professional will treat your room as soon as possible.

If you need Maxforce roach control systems, they are available at the 24-Hour Service Desks.

If you suspect bed bugs have entered your space, immediately read our bed bug information page for detailed information.

return to top of page


Pets are not permitted in any residential buildings, except fish in properly maintained, clean aquariums, maximum not to exceed 10 gallons total capacity per person per room/apartment and registered/trained guide dogs.

return to top of page

Public Space

Space outside the interior of one's assigned room (e.g., windows and door exteriors) is considered public space and is maintained under the jurisdiction of University Housing. Residents have the right to approach anyone who displays a decoration which they believe to be offensive or obscene in order to discuss their concern. Students will be asked to remove offensive material from public view. Furniture in common areas, apartment shared space (kitchen and living rooms) and a lounge is provided for the comfort and convenience of all residents and should remain in the designated public space.

return to top of page

Quiet Hours

  • Sunday-Thursday: 8 pm-8 am
  • Friday-Saturday: 12 am-10 am
  • Courtesy Hours: 24 hours a day
  • Final Exam Period: 24 hours a day

It is your right, as well as your responsibility, to let offenders know if their activity is too loud and interrupts your studying, or sleep. Stereos, radios, TVs, musical instruments and conversations must be kept to reasonable levels that will not interfere with the study or sleep of other residents. Hall Councils have the option to establish more-restrictive quiet hours for their buildings. Those hours will not be less restrictive than those listed here. In the event that a hall declines to establish more restrictive quiet hours, the hours listed above will be in effect. These hours recognize the rights of all students to have an environment which supports academic success. Any amplified sound or other noise reaching beyond the limits of an individual room is considered an infringement on others' personal space and may be addressed through the disciplinary process. Quiet Hours and a 24-Hour Courtesy Policy are practiced to support this philosophy. If you encounter a noise problem, bring it to the attention of the offender. If the problem persists, contact your RA or the RA on duty. Periodically, Hall Council-sanctioned activities (indoor or outdoor) may receive exception from the quiet-hours guidelines with prior approval from University Housing staff members.

return to top of page


Students are responsible for sorting their recyclable materials (glass, plastic water and soda bottles, aluminum cans, paper and newspapers), and depositing them in the recycling bins located outside of the buildings.

return to top of page

Room Decorating

Residents are encouraged to make their residence hall/apartment rooms a home away from home.  Add your personal design touches to create a place to study and live comfortably.  Follow these guidelines to keep you and your belongings safe.

All carpet, furniture and other miscellaneous personal items used in the buildings should be fire retardant. Candles are not permitted in student rooms. Wood paneling, particle board, room partitions, and decorations (such as parachutes, fish nets, ceiling fans and an excessive number of posters) are not allowed. Power strips with built-in circuit breakers are permitted. No furniture or decorations should inhibit entry or exit in any manner. Room furnishings may only be used in ways appropriate to their construction.


  • No furniture or decorations should inhibit entry or exit in any manner.
  • All carpet, furniture and other miscellaneous personal items used in the buildings should be fire retardant.
  • Extension cords are not permitted; instead power strips with built-in circuit breakers are recommended.
  • Decorations should not cover more than 75% of the wall space in any hallway. Wood paneling, particle board, and room partitions are not allowed.
  • Spray paint or aerosol may not be used inside campus residences.
  • Decorations may not attach to or hang from room ceilings, lights, or pipes.
  • Room furnishings may only be used in ways appropriate to their construction.
  • Artificial holiday trees are permitted in the room. Live holiday trees are not permitted.
  • Only decorative LED holiday lights are permitted.

return to top of page

Roommate Relationships

What does it take for roommates/apartment mates to get along? Our staff works with students to provide an agreeable living and learning environment for everyone, and this environment begins with you.

All students are expected to complete the University Housing Roommate Agreement, Suitemate Agreement, or Apartment Agreement as appropriate. This mandatory agreement between roommates/suitemates/apartment mates ensures that each individual's rights are respected and that roommates have discussed their expectations while sharing a room. Clarifying expectations, (for example, a time preference for lights out or how to share refrigerator space) talking about concerns before they develop into conflict, and being willing to compromise help pave the way for successful relationships. This agreement is by no means all-inclusive, but it can assist in establishing expectations. Individuals of the room/suite/apartment discuss each section and develop guidelines that all can agree on and live with. Once completed, the terms of the agreement can be renegotiated at any time during the year with the assistance of the RA. Feel free to ask your RA for assistance if needed.

Steps to Resolve Roommate Conflict

  1. Speak to your roommate/suitemate/apartment mate directly. Review and discuss the Roommate/Suite/Apartment Agreement that was completed. State issues neutrally. Relate/discuss feelings. Offer resolutions. Be prepared to listen and to compromise.
  2. Ask the RA on your floor to intervene by meeting with you and the other person(s) involved. In his/her role as a neutral mediator, the RA will try to help you resolve the problem.
  3. Roommates/Suitemates/Apartment mates meet with a Residence Director (RD) or Assistant Director. The RD or Assistant Director may serve as arbitrator in resolving the conflict. Individuals may be asked to sign additional behavior or room/suite/apartment environment contracts. If agreements cannot be reached, room changes may be arranged.
  4. The Assistant Director of your campus housing area may intervene   if roommates/suitemates/apartment mates have been unable to resolve a conflict at other levels.

Roommate Rights and Responsibilities

As an NC State campus community member, you can expect and have a responsibility to maintain the following rights:

  • The right to live in a clean environment.
  • The right to personal privacy.
  • The right to sleep with as little disturbance as possible.
  • The right to have your personal belongings respected.
  • The right to free access to your room and facilities without interference.
  • The right to study which supersedes the right to have guests.
  • The right to have guests. 
  • The right to veto a roommate’s/suitemate’s/apartment mate’s guest(s) for justifiable reasons.
  • The right to be free of intimidation, physical and/or emotional harm.
  • The right to seek reasonable cooperation from your roommate/suitemates/apartment mates.
  • The right to speak out openly and constructively on ideas, opinions and grievances.

return to top of page

Safety Inspections

University Housing asks Environmental Health and Safety's Division of Fire Protection to conduct periodic inspections in student rooms throughout the year. The inspections will include a check of areas such as electrical, heating and cooling appliances, combustibles, housekeeping, health hazards and pest control. Violations should be corrected within a 24-hour period, and follow-up inspections will be conducted to determine if corrective action has been taken. Failure to correct safety violations will result in disciplinary action.

return to top of page

Smoking Rule

Per North Carolina State Law, all residential facilities (including E.S. King Village and Western Manor Apartments) are smoke-free spaces. Smoking is prohibited within 25-feet of any residence hall/apartment building. The University community shares the responsibility of adhering to and enforcing the smoking policy.

return to top of page

Street Signs

Removal of signs from University property and city, county, or state property poses a potential safety hazard for citizens. Possessing these signs constitutes theft. University Housing staff who see these signs in your room will either ask you to take your signs to NCSU Transportation and/or will notify University Police that you possess these signs. You will have 24 hours to return the signs to Transportation, usually with no penalty. Failure to return the signs will result in the issue of a Campus Appearance Ticket and judicial procedures.

return to top of page

Visitation Policy

A "visitor" is defined as a guest, present in a particular residence hall, apartment or residence hall room with the consent of a hosting resident of that hall, apartment or room.

Anyone entering or leaving a residence hall must comply with the identification process established by University Housing. While in a residence hall in which he or she does not reside, a visitor must be escorted by the resident host at all times. Residents are responsible for insuring that visitors comply with all residence hall policies and will be held accountable for the behavior of their guests. Guests are expected to conduct themselves in a considerate manner with regard to the rights and needs of roommates and other residents. Visitors may be hosted in designated common areas at any time.

Residence Halls with 24-hour Visitation

For the coming year, the following residence halls will have 24-hour visitation:

Limited-Visitation Halls - In all other residence halls/areas, visitation shall not exceed 9 am to 1 am, Sunday through Thursday, and 9 am to 2 am Friday through Saturday. Residents of these halls may permit a visitor of the same sex to remain in the hall as an overnight guest only if that resident's roommate has no objection.

No visitors in either category may be an overnight guest for more than three consecutive nights or for more than ten nights total during the academic year.

For additional information on the visitation policy, visit the NC State policies website.

return to top of page

Weapons and Combustibles

Residents may not, for any reason, bring into the residence halls or apartments any weapon for use, possession or storage. This includes, but is not limited to firearms (including rifles); projectile devices (such as bows & arrows); blades (such as swords, switchblades, or knives with a blade longer than 5"); or other such devices perceived as weapons. Pepper spray is allowed provided it is used solely in a defensive manner.

Weapons, fireworks and explosives are not permitted in   residential facilities. Residents may not possess any fireworks, sparklers, combustible/explosive material, hazardous chemicals, or flammable liquids.

Candles, gas/oil lanterns, or any device producing open flames (such as incense and Sterno) are not permitted. Students who wish to burn incense for religious reasons need to get approval from their Assistant Director or Residence Director.

National studies have shown that torchiere-style halogen lamps present significant risk of starting fires. As a result, these lamps are not permitted in residential rooms.

return to top of page

What to Bring/Leave at Home

Consider these suggestions when deciding what to pack for your move to campus. Your residence hall room already includes a bed, desk w/chair, dresser or wardrobe and a mini fridge with microwave.

What to Bring

  • Twin extra-long sheets: 36" x 80"
  • Pillows, towels and washcloths
  • Bedspread, comforter or blanket
  • Desk lamp (try an energy efficient bulb)
  • Alarm clock
  • Television
  • Ipod or MP3 player/headphones
  • Computer
  • Plants
  • Pictures/posters
  • Telephone
  • Power strips (look for “smart” strips that save energy)
  • Backpack
  • Hangers
  • Utensils
  • Storage boxes or footlocker
  • Toiletries (toilet paper provided)
  • Laundry basket or bag
  • Laundry detergent (for front-loading washing machines)
  • Iron/ironing board
  • Umbrella
  • Bath robe
  • Shower shoes
  • Carpet or scatter rugs
  • Bicycle with durable U-bolt lock
  • Small bucket and cleaning supplies (dust rags, sponge)
  • Sealed plastic containers
  • Reusable water bottle
  • Can opener
  • Coffee maker
  • Fan

What to Leave at Home

  • Alcohol and Illegal Drugs
  • Halogen Lamps (any model or style)
  • Air Conditioner
  • Incense
  • Burners or Hot Plates
  • Toasters (toaster ovens are permitted)
  • Microwave
  • Candles
  • Pets (except fish in tanks, maximum not to exceed 20 gallons total capacity per room)
  • Ceiling Fans/Lights
  • Refrigerator
  • Electric Heaters
  • Space Heaters
  • Extension Cords
  • Fireworks, Explosives, Unsafe Chemicals
  • Waterbed
  • Weapons

return to top of page