Just because students are away from campus doesn’t mean that University Housing is taking the summer off. In fact, University Housing began their most aggressive summer renovation season this May with more than 60 projects to complete by August.
The largest renovation project completed this summer was in Lee Hall. Upgrades to the building built in 1964 included new interior finishes to bedrooms. Facilities crews also removed the old built-in furniture and replaced it with new moveable furniture, paint, flooring and electrical upgrades.
"The summer of 2013 Lee Hall renovations will benefit students by providing them with a fresh new environment for living and learning," said Pete Fraccaroli, Campus Life Facilities Manager.
The Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Village office, located on the first floor of Lee Hall, also received an upgrade this summer. The office was completely redone to have a more modern, professional appearance and look less like a residence hall suite converted into an office space. The WISE office now has a larger conference room, new office rooms and windows throughout the space. The office also received new paint, floors and a logo on the front window. The space allows more room for tutoring, networking and programs.
The second largest renovation project of the summer was the ground floor of Bowen Hall. Upgrades to the first floor included new paint, floors, ceiling, and lighting to the lounge, laundry room, bathroom and vending machine space. New windows and new storefronts were also installed in Bowen Hall to increase energy efficiency throughout the building.
Other residence hall renovation projects this summer included:
- New paint and carpet in Gray and Hudson halls of Wolf Village
- New showers in Wood Hall building B and new paint in buildings A and B
- New bathroom doors and flooring, as well as a new domestic hot water heating system in Avent Ferry Complex building E
- New paint and doors in Tucker and Owen halls
- New HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) controls in Carroll Hall
- New waterproofing paint on the exterior of Sullivan Hall
- New carpet in Bagwell, Becton and Berry halls, as well as the Honors Village Commons
- Refinished floors in Alexander Hall
- New perimeter card access controls at Avent Ferry Complex, Gold, Welch and Turlington halls
- New upgraded telecom cable in Bowen, Owen and Wood halls
- Branding improvements to 24-hour service desks at Avent Ferry Complex, First Year College, Honors Village Commons, Wolf Village, Bragaw and North halls