University Housing at North Carolina State University strives to help maintain the safety and security of the halls, as well as aid in the emotional, educational and cultural development of residents. The Community Assistant is a member of University Housing staff of the Division of Student Affairs. The Department requires the Community Assistant to be a highly skilled and knowledgeable staff member that can and will respond to a variety of situations in a very professional manner. The basic functions of the Community Assistant are to provide high quality customer services to all residents and guests through the residence hall service desks.
To seek employment as a Community Assistant, please see your service desk for the appropriate application and details about the recruitment process.
- Be a full time enrolled NCSU student.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
- Have no continuing record of University disciplinary action at the time of application or appointment.
- Provide customer service for students, parents and administrators.
- Complete clerical tasks assigned by respective supervisors.
- Answer phone lines.
- Key distribution.
- Package distribution.
- Residence hall mail distribution.
- Maintain all hall logs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Report to work on time.
- If you are unable to work or complete your shift, you must find a replacement.
- Schedule changes must be reported to the respective supervisor.
- Attend scheduled training sessions.
- Attend bi-monthly CAs staff meetings.
- Record and submit work hours on payroll reporting form.
- Submit all required employment verification forms in a timely manner.
- Communicate and cooperate with other members of the residence hall staff.
- Have working knowledge of all forms used at the desks.
- Be accountable for management of keys during shift. This includes accurate documentation of the distribution of temporary and permanent keys. Any key(s) lost during a Community Assistant’s shift may result in termination.
- Be accountable for all packages accepted and distributed to residents. Proper documentation must be accurately recorded.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Abide by University Housing Policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Halls are open 24-hours, 7 days a week.
- The Area Administrative Associate and the Community Assistant Coordinator will jointly supervise the Community Assistants.
- Community Assistants are paid an hourly wage.
- All appointments are considered probationary during the initial six weeks.
- Community Assistant appointments are on a semester-by-semester basis.
- Job performance will be reviewed each semester by the supervisor.
- Be prompt for your shift.
- Keep the Service Desk area neat and clean when starting and ending your shift.
- Answer questions coming from residents, students, parents, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Be polite and courteous.
- Dress neatly.
- Always be professional.
Customer Service Skills To Be Used
- Responsive and timely service.
- Courteous and helpful service.
- Consistent and dependable service.
- Action to resolve concerns, problems and complaints.
- Provide correct information.
- Suggestions and available resource information.