Do you have a passion or an interest in the arts? The Arts Village is the place for you! Located in Turlington Hall, this Village unites students from various personal and academic backgrounds who have a passion for the arts and exposes them to theater, visual arts and crafts, music and dance. This is an opportunity for residents to develop their creativity, engage with the arts on campus and in the community, interact with NC State faculty and staff members, and serve as a creative resource for the campus community as a whole.
What We Offer
- Central Campus is a hub of arts activity! Turlington Hall is located next to Price Music Center and Talley Student Union – all homes of the arts on campus.
- Room with students who have a passion for the arts! The Arts Village is home to students from diverse personal and academic backgrounds.
- Free tickets to ARTS NC STATE and Triangle arts performances and events. All Arts Village students participating in the Arts Forum will receive free admission to all ARTS NC STATE events. Professional performing arts events around the Triangle are also provided at no cost to Forum participants.
- Insightful interaction with guest artists. The arts departments on campus coordinate fun and interactive activities with artists from off–campus as well as faculty and staff members at NC State.
- Opportunity and outlet for personal creativity. Classes, hall programs and events coordinated by students happen consistently throughout the year.
- Priority use of the Masini Practice Room in Price Music Center. To use the Masini Practice Room, students must bring their ID and leave it in 203 Price Music Center in exchange for a key to the Masini Practice Room:
- 9am - 5pm, Monday-Friday
- 5-10pm, Monday - Thursday, leave your ID with the building attendant
- 3-8pm, Sunday
For students entering the Arts Village Fall 2015:
- Live in Turlington Hall.
Residents are required to uphold the Student Code of Conduct, University Housing Rules and Community Standards and remain in good academic standing.
- During the fall and spring semesters of your first year in the Arts Village complete AVS100 – The Arts Forum.
The Arts Forum is a one-credit hour experiential course requiring attendance at three mandatory sessions and attendance at nine elective arts events both on and off campus. The visual and performing arts programs of ARTS NC STATE—Center Stage, the Crafts Center, the Dance Program, the Gregg Museum of Art & Design, the Music Department and University Theatre—provide the foundation of this course through performances, workshops and exhibitions.
- During the fall of your second year (if you choose to stay), complete AVS 100 which will include several arts-based tracks to choose from (Crafts, Dance, Theatre, Music, etc.)
- During the spring semester of your second year, take AVS 100 or complete your personalized Arts experience. This could include taking a 1-3 credit hour arts-focused class, involvement in an ARTS NC STATE group or activity, or an independent Arts Village Project.
- Attend 4 residence hall sponsored programs each semester you reside in the Arts Village.
A residence hall sponsored program is an activity developed and/or sponsored by a Resident Advisor (RA), Arts Village Mentor or Hall Council. Programs range from social events to opportunities to learn about campus resources, and personal or professional development.
- Have and maintain good academic standing with the University (2.0 GPA).
How to Apply
Whether you are new to on-campus housing or want to transfer into the Arts Village from another residence hall, you need to complete an online application in MyPack Portal. This application is in addition to the University Housing Application, also located in MyPack Portal.
Returning NC State Students:
- Once logged in to MyPack Portal, click on Student Self Services. From the drop down menus, choose University Housing and Returning Residents. Then click on the Housing Application link. Select a term and fill out the Housing Application.
- Once you fill out your Housing Application, click the Living Learning Applications link under the Housing Application link in the Returning Residents section.
- Complete the Arts Village application (please select the semester you would like to live in the Arts Village).
Incoming NC State students:
- Once logged in to MyPack Portal, click on Student Self Services. From the drop down menus, choose University Housing and Prospective Residents. Then click on the Housing Application link. Select a term and fill out the Housing Application.
- Once you finish your Housing Application, then click the Living Learning Applications link under the Housing Application link in the Prospective Residents section.
- Complete the Arts Village application (please select the semester you would like to live in the Arts Village) .
- Village applications open for the fall semester on January 9
For Arts questions:
For Housing questions: