With Fall Break just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about Thanksgiving Break in November when the residence halls close for the holiday. This year, residence halls will close at 10 am on Wed., Nov. 27 and open at 5 pm on Fri., Nov. 29. All on-campus apartments will remain open during the holiday break.
To help prepare you for your time away from campus, try these 10 easy tips:
- Make travel arrangements early. If you haven’t already made plans for Thanksgiving Break, make them now. Plane fares tend to increase the longer you wait to book your flight. If you would like to stay on campus for the holidays, then submit a Guest Housing request. Spaces fill up quickly, so reserve your space as soon as possible.
- Consider carpooling to your final destination or the airport. To save money on gas, catch a ride with one of your friends, suitemates or roommates. Travel buddies also make your trip more interesting and fun.
- Close and lock your doors and windows when you leave. Locked doors and windows will help prevent possible theft while you are gone. Also, keep your blinds closed while you are away from campus.
- Unplug and turn off all appliances except your microfridge. Save electricity and prevent fire hazards by turning off all unnecessary electronics and appliances. Keep your microfridge plugged in so melted ice doesn’t create water damage while you are gone.
- Clean out your microfridge before you leave. If food has expired, or will expire while you are gone, throw it out. Nobody wants to return to a smelly fridge.
- Take out your garbage. Again, nobody wants to return from break to a foul-smelling room.
- Secure your bike. Either bring your bike inside while you are away from campus or secure it with a U-bolt lock to prevent potential bike theft during break.
- Feed your fish! If you have fish in your room, give them time-release food pellets so they don’t starve while you are enjoying turkey and stuffing.
- Enjoy time with your family or friends – the people most important to you.
- Relax. It’s a holiday. Take a break from schoolwork and relax your mind for a few days before the end of the semester kicks in.
University Housing wishes you a happy Thanksgiving holiday! If you have any questions about residence halls closing for the break, please call (919) 515-2440 or send us an email. Housing staff members are also available at the Housing Office, 1112 Pullen Hall, from 8 am to 5 pm (Monday - Friday) to answer your questions.